Lately, I've also been really convicted about how I treat other people. My words to them or about them, and my thoughts toward them have not been kind or joyful. I'm really trying to work on how I relate to people in general too. My thoughts toward them should not be jealous or disrespectful, and my words to them and about them must definitely not be either of these two things. This is especially true for Taylor. He is the most important person in my life, and he should be treated as such. My words to him should be the kindest, most loving, and most respectful words that I say. This has been something that I've been noticing for a while, but it's been especially apparent lately. I tend to be a smidge (or a lot...) uptight or too nit-picky in certain situations, and I just shouldn't be. I don't need to justify it, even if I think I'm right; I just need to get over it.
My biggest project from now until the wedding (except for the wedding itself, of course) and for the rest of my life is to focus on ME and MY heart. I don't need to change or fix anyone else, except me. There is more than enough to work on in my own life =] Some specifics that I want to work on include:
- Gentleness-This is most definitely not an inherent character trait that I possess, but it is one that I am most earnestly striving for. (1 Peter 3:4) What more could I want than to be "very precious in the sight of God?"
- Quietness-This goes along with the last one. (1 Peter 3:4) It refers to having a quiet spirit, and I hope to improve this in my behavior-in how I relate to others, and just in how I generally conduct myself.
- Soft-spoken-Again, tying in with the last one. I really struggle with this one. I am a naturally loud and expressive person by nature (I blame my parents =] ), but in all seriousness, I want to drastically improve this. I want to speak softer words and learn to be seen and not heard so much. When I do speak, I want it to glorify God and I want it to be edifying in every situation. (Ephesians 4:29) Besides, most of the time, no one really needs to hear what I think =] (Proverbs 29:11)
- Love-Of course I love Taylor, and other people, but I really want my love to keep growing and be displayed in a biblical way...especially when I am just done and feel that I have no more love to give. I need to let God love others through me, and I need to be a much better testimony to others in this way. (John 13:35) It must also be unconditional, period. (1 Corinthians 4:1-8)
- Respect-This one is huge for me, and it is sometimes where I fail hugely too.This is one of, if not THE most important thing for Taylor, and it is something that I must always work on and improve. And it must also be unconditional. Besides, as a wife, I am commanded by God to do it (among many other things, of course). (1 Peter 3:2, Ephesians 5:33b)
- Jealousy-This has been a recent conviction, but I'm appalled at how bad I am about it. I have so many things to be thankful for; I'm incredibly blessed. Being jealous is just not godly, and it robs me of so much joy that I could have for others. (Proverbs 27:4)
- Patience-I could write a book on this one, but let's just say that this is one of my MAJOR weak points for many, many reasons.
- Letting the little [and sometimes not-so-little] things go-This goes along with patience. I just need to CHILL and not worry so much about things that, in light of eternity, just do not matter. Like whether or not a ball is thrown at my head. (long story, much evidence of my need for greater patience =] )
- Remember the privilege I will have to serve Taylor-John MacArthur, in his book 12 Extraordinary Women, really opened my eyes to this. I'd never really thought about it, but as a wife, I have an endless opportunity to serve. This is not only my duty, but also my privilege, and I must remember that. The more I remember this, the more joyful and loving I will be. Not much is uglier than bitterness as a result of serving. Serving others is serving God, and this is an honor and a privilege.
- Remember that the wedding isn't about the wedding; it's about the marriage-A million things could go wrong (and probably will), but It. Does. Not. Matter. It doesn't. I just have to keep reminding myself that =] Our wedding day may be nothing like I envisioned it, but it's not about us. It's about God, it's about our family, and it's my job to focus on everyone else. I think that seems backwards, but I'd really like to avoid being Bridezilla. I want everything to go as smoothly as possible, and if everyone else is happy, then it will. And we have a lot of people there that aren't believers, so I truly hope that God is seen in our wedding and marriage, and I hope that, above all, He is glorified on that day.
- Everything may go wrong at the wedding, but I still get to marry my best friend and the man God chose for me-Continuing from the last one, the wedding isn't the point. The point is that at the end of the day, Taylor will be my husband, and I will be his wife. Forever.
- Every challenge, stress, and disappointment is just another opportunity to learn to trust God-No matter how stressed I get and Taylor and I get, God is in control. He is on His throne, and He is sovereign over all. (Psalm 55:22, Matthew 10:29-31)
aww, susan!! failing was one of the things I was most afraid of prior to marriage also...and let me tell you, I have, many times, but the very beautiful thing about a marriage where Christ is the center is the grace that goes with it. Mistakes on my part usually turn into an opportunity to be blown away by the man I married and the huge amount of grace God put in his heart for me. I have gotten a completely different look into the kind of love God has for me by experiencing Nick's Christ-like love... and it is BEAUTIFUL. Failure will happen, but prepare to be blown away...because that will happen a lot more!! love you girl!
ReplyDeleteAnd Taylor is so forgiving. I ask myself often how we stayed together this long, but it is by the grace of God and Taylor's grace and patience. I just hope I don't test it too often ;) I'm so thankful that God will be the center of our marriage, and that He's in control. Now I just have to remember that and let Him be glorified through us! Love you too, and can't wait to see you!
ReplyDelete